[SlimDevices: Beginners] Help setting up Squeezebox V3
agdev01
2015-12-31 01:22:27 UTC
Needing some help with a SlimDevices v3. I just purchased the unit and
am trying to get it setup. Unfortunately it did not come with the
remote, though i do have a harmony setup for the device. When i plug
the squeezebox in all i am getting is a scrolling Logitech logo followed
by Squeezebox.

I tried pushing the right button on the remote to enter setup as it
states in the manual but all that seems to do is cut the scrolling and
then a few seconds later it starts up again. All other buttons i have
programmed result in the same.

Any suggestions?

agdev01's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=65227
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=104923
SlimChances
2015-12-31 03:45:34 UTC
It has been a long time since I set up an older player but try going
left instead

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.0 - 1451167799 @ Sun Dec 27 04:10:32
UTC 2015
Server HTTP Port Number: 9000 Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
Perl Version: 5.18.2 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)

One SB Touch connected by ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm
4.1 speakers
Two SB Radios wireless
SlimChances's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=165
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=104923
agdev01
2015-12-31 04:34:39 UTC
Thank you for the suggestion. after some additional searching I have
tried every possible combination of buttons including the left button.
No matter what button i press i get the same result, the logo
immediately goes blank and once the button is depressed repeats the same
for flashing Logitech followed by Squeezebox.

markm9999
2015-12-31 06:58:03 UTC
I have several of the v3's, so I'll give it a go...

Are you trying to use it 'Wired' or 'Wiirelessly'? I believe it is
smart enough to always use the 'wired' connection first, if available.
It then tries 'wireless' mode.

I have never used a Harmony remote, but on a standard v3/Transporter
remote, I would press and HOLD the left button. This should 'back you
up' to the network setup of the device.

Normally once a device is setup, if the power is turned off then on, it
will skip over the Setup/Networking menus, LMS server to connect to,
etc.

markm9999's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=65015
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=104923
agdev01
2015-12-31 07:31:45 UTC
Mark,

I am trying it wired. I didn't mention it earlier but it is the wired
only version. I just tried holding the left button for a good 20
seconds. All that is happening is the logitech logo will flash off as
soon as the button is pressed, then a few seconds later it will start
again and then go off as soon as it recognizes the command. Im pretty
convinced at this point it is stuck in a bootloop and not getting to the
point of fully booting up to get to the setup screen. I don't think the
device has ever actually been hooked up before today as it was still
sealed in what i am guessing was the original plastic bag around the
device.

I uploaded a video as it is hard to describe the behavior, hopefully
this works. The first 20 or so seconds is me letting it cycle as it has
been doing. When you see the logo quickly flash off is when i am
holding the left button. The end goes back to normal.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOvV4MJtWBkJkAtQ6JOyUHJ7foqePTwoIYuwcla

Mnyb
2015-12-31 08:24:33 UTC
Sugested that you really need the original Remote or a Touch Remote ? Is
your universal remote really programmed to emulate squeezebox ?

In the setup phase it's actually talking directly to the player , for
day to day use you can even use an JVC dvd remote or an universal
programmed that way as it is the server that reads the commands then (
and generate the menus ) .

Wonder if the net::udap script can be used to configure it ? Just like
with a squeezebox receiver ? Worth a try .

Further make sure the original owner unregistered it on mysqueezebox.com
if he ever connected it . That becomes important when you get passed the
first hurdle .

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=104923
markm9999
2015-12-31 08:28:52 UTC
FYI, (unless somebody else knows differently) there is no such thing as
a 'wired' only model of the v3. It doesn't have any external antennas
though, so you may not realize that ;)

The picture link you provided is broken. Just post here :cool:

Here's mine after a power on:

195661956519564

Once setup, after the 'Welcome to Squeezebox' message is displayed, it
will cycle through the auto-reconnect process (1 or 2 more screens)

|Filename: IMG_6844.JPG |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19566|

Mnyb
2015-12-31 08:33:52 UTC
Post by markm9999
FYI, (unless somebody else knows differently) there is no such thing as
a 'wired' only model of the v3. It doesn't have any external antennas
though, so you may not realize that ;)
195661956519564
Once setup, after the 'Welcome to Squeezebox' message is displayed, it
will cycle through the auto-reconnect process (1 or 2 more screens)
I'm thinking this is a 'remote doesn't support the proper functionality'
issue...
Yes there was rigth at the beginning of the model when slimdevices still
was the owner .

It's the same players without the wifi card , for a reduced price .

The same with SB2 .

That's why both SB2 and SB3 can operate without the wifi card , if it
breaks just remove it . And it is a separate card .

markm9999
2015-12-31 08:40:58 UTC
Post by Mnyb
Yes there was rigth at the beginning of the model when slimdevices still
was the owner .
It's the same players without the wifi card , for a reduced price .
The same with SB2 .
That's why both SB2 and SB3 can operate without the wifi card , if it
breaks just remove it . And it is a separate card .
Not to hijack this thread, so you're saying within the hardware case the
WiFi card is an add-on? Wow! A bit surprised by this in the SB3. I
know the SB2 was a different animal

Mnyb
2015-12-31 09:19:51 UTC
Post by markm9999
Not to hijack this thread, so you're saying within the hardware case the
WiFi card is an add-on? Wow! A bit surprised by this in the SB3. I
know the SB2 was a different animal
The SB3 is actually an SB2 in a different case :) it's just the design
and the remote.

Mnyb
2015-12-31 09:23:13 UTC
Post by Mnyb
The SB3 is actually an SB2 in a different case :) it's just the design
and the remote.
And the remote it's also design , Touch boom SB3 and SB2 and Transporter
can use the same remotes.
Difference is that SB3 SB2 and TP remote has that pesky + button you
needed for software update on really old firmware ( nowadays it can be
set to auto )

SlimChances
2015-12-31 14:44:08 UTC
I am assuming you used the Harmony software to program your remote to
work as a SB remote. If so you may be able to do a Factory reset by
pressing and holding the "+" button for 30 seconds(first pull out the
power plug and then plug back in while pressing remote button). See
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Special_IR_Keys_on_Reboot_for_Factory_Reset_and_Last_FW

markm9999
2015-12-31 17:20:10 UTC
Post by SlimChances
I am assuming you used the Harmony software to program your remote to
work as a SB remote. If so you may be able to do a Factory reset by
pressing and holding the "+" button for 30 seconds(first pull out the
power plug and then plug back in while pressing remote button). See
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Special_IR_Keys_on_Reboot_for_Factory_Reset_and_Last_FW
Wow! Didn't know that. Cool.

agdev01
2015-12-31 18:24:39 UTC
Thanks for the replies.
Post by markm9999
FYI, (unless somebody else knows differently) there is no such thing as
a 'wired' only model of the v3. It doesn't have any external antennas
though, so you may not realize that ;)
195661956519564
Once setup, after the 'Welcome to Squeezebox' message is displayed, it
will cycle through the auto-reconnect process (1 or 2 more screens)
I'm thinking this is a 'remote doesn't support the proper functionality'
issue...
I think the harmony remote should be fine. The Squeezebox is found when
i added it through the software and both are made/owned by logitech at
the time.

Sorry the video didn't work. Your pictures are very helpful in
describing the situation. Based on your pictures i am seeing 1 followed
by 2 but never get to the third. 1 and 2 just repeat.

maybe this youtube link will work.

Post by markm9999
I am assuming you used the Harmony software to program your remote to
work as a SB remote. If so you may be able to do a Factory reset by
pressing and holding the "+" button for 30 seconds(first pull out the
power plug and then plug back in while pressing remote button). See
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Special_IR_Keys_on_Reboot_for_Factory_Reset_and_La
st_FW
I tried as you said. Good news is a actually got some different
behavior. It cycled though a few times with the logitech screen quickly
flashing off but now it is just sitting there with a blank screen. the
optical light is still on so i know its getting power but nothing else.

markm9999
2015-12-31 19:06:00 UTC
The video shows it cycling through several times. Are you doing
anything with the power or remote during this time?

I'm sure others are more versed in hardware issues than I am, as I've
NEVER had a hardware problem in the 15-20 players I've owned/sold off to
friends after getting them to buy into the SqueezeBox ecosystem :D

But I'm beginning to think it's hardware/power supply issue, since I've
seen similar issues with different computer hardware when a power
supply/wall wart goes bad or the wrong one is being used.

Can you upload a picture of the power supply you are using so we can
verify it is the factory issued one or at least meets the spec.

agdev01
2015-12-31 20:55:31 UTC
Sure. Looks like i have the one on the left.

19582
The video shows it cycling through several times. Are you doing anything
with the power or remote during this time?
The first few cycles i am doing nothing. From about 25 seconds to ~45
seconds i am holding the left button. After that nothing again.
Do you use your Harmony in device mode? If so then press& hold won't
work. Try the long left key press out of an activity.
I was in device mode. I have added an activity and tried everything
again but to no avail.

With some additional searching i did find this link from a few years ago
but not much information. Looks like i might be out of luck.

https://forums.logitech.com/t5/Squeezebox-and-Smart-Radio/Squeezebox-V3-Stuck-in-Reboot-Loop/td-p/674156

PS i really do appreciate all of y'alls help.

|Filename: IMG_20151231_123641.jpg |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19582|

markm9999
2015-12-31 22:03:21 UTC
You didn't state whether or not you got it off of eBay or not, but
hopefully you can get a refund.

A picture off the bottom showing the MAC address info would be help for
those of us who do buy from there though so we don't run into the same
device! :rolleyes:

I hope this experience doesn't deter you though. It's a great
platform.

If you want to 'play' with the platform without buying a piece of
hardware, might I suggest downloading:

Logitech Media Server (LMS) (if you haven't done this already)
http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.9

- SqueezePlay (Shows you what the SqueezeBox Touch/Radio interface
would be like)
- SoftSqueeze (requires Java, but shows you what the a SB2, SB3, Boom,
or a Transporter would be like)
-

Here is the forum link to the current download location - always
contained/updated within the first post:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?96573-SqueezePlay-for-Windows-with-ASIO-DirectSound-WASAPI-and-WDMKS-device-support

Clicking on the very first link (even thought it refers to Windows),
should net you this (at least right now)

19586

You can install the players on multiple PCs if you have them to get a
feel what a multi-device ecosystem would 'feel' like. And of course,
there are many hardware options out there - Raspberry Pi's, eBay'ed
devices, even old Apple TV's running XBMC/SqueezeLite!

Until recently, I've only been a user/lurker/supporter in my own way.
But one thing I cannot speak highly enough of is the community - which
is just friggin' awesome!

|Filename: SqueezePlay - Ralph.Irving.JPG |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19586|

agdev01
2015-12-31 23:22:01 UTC
I got it off of craigslist. Fortunately outside of the time spend
driving to pick it up i'm not out a lot of money and it isn't worth the
time for me to try and return it. Im sure the guy wasn't trying to scam
me as i stated earlier im not sure it has ever been hooked up before me.
I'll just list it on ebay clearly marked as not working and for parts
only. who knows someone might need a case or power supply.

I actually bought the device to use with Roon as they just started
supporting that. I'll see if i can find another one, hopefully one that
works this time, for fairly cheap or may look into getting a RaspberryPi
to play with.

SlimChances
2016-01-01 00:01:41 UTC
Before you give up, if you haven't tried the other resets such as XiLinx
reset go to the page I mentioned and give the others a try
See 'http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...et_and_Last_FW'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Special_IR_Keys_on_Reboot_for_Factory_Reset_and_Last_FW)

and Happy New Year!

agdev01
2016-01-01 01:32:50 UTC
Thanks and happy new year's to y'all as well.

Tried all of the buttons listed on that page and none seemed to work.
Something is messed up to where it just won't boot. Oh well, while
frustrating it isn't the end of the world.

If anyone wants a scrolling logetic squeezebox sign I have on really
cheap ;)

bpa
2016-01-01 01:52:04 UTC
Post by agdev01
Thanks and happy new year's to y'all as well.
Tried all of the buttons listed on that page and none seemed to work.
Something is messed up to where it just won't boot. Oh well, while
frustrating it isn't the end of the world.
If anyone wants a scrolling logetic squeezebox sign I have on really
cheap ;)
Open unit up and check if there is a WLAN card inside - even though it
was sold as wired only - it's possible WLAN card was faulty and should
be removed.

View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=104923
agdev01
2016-01-01 02:18:54 UTC
Hi bpa thanks for the suggestion. There is not a card attached. I was
able to get the unit open and can see where one would install it in the
pci-e slot and there is nothing there.

ehjones
2016-01-01 12:34:13 UTC
I had a V3 with a similar constant reboot issue. I had to buy a new
(old) one. A bit disappointing for you :(

ehjones's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=5218
View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=104923
karlek
2015-12-31 19:00:08 UTC